Tuesday 2 August 2011

Green Man - Finished!!

So I finally managed to find time to finish off that green man I've been working on...
  Creating the stumpwork leaves takes time, bending all that cake wire into the right shapes. And then to attach it to the fabric and cover the wire with trailing...
Once the trailing was all done I cut out the leaves and trimmed back the fabric to the stitching, and then bent the wire so that the leaves took form a bit more. The final step was to stitch them in place on the face.
If I could change anything it might be the fabric. Although I loved that I was able to upcycle old school jumpers and a skirt for this project the fabric for the background leaves had a tendancy to fray, even with the couched thread edge. It doesn't take too much from the overall effect of the piece, but I now have a better understanding of the fabric and I still love how he turned out. I think I'll be doing a few more of these when i can and put them up on etsy!


2 comments: